Orange and Cinnamon Crème Brûlée
makes 8 generous ramekins
- 750ml double cream
- 250ml milk
- 250g caster sugar plus extra for glazing
- 15 egg yolks
- 1 orange zested
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan, add the orange zest and cinnamon sticks. Bring to the boil and set aside, this will allow the flavours to infuse into the liquid.
- Whilst the mix is infusing pre heat the oven to 120 Celsius, this low temperature will help to mix to cook evenly without scrambling the egg!
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and creamy, pour the infused cream through a sieve onto the egg and sugar, mix well and leave the mix to stand for 30 minutes.
- Skim any froth that has formed on the top of the mix. Put your ramekins in a deep baking tray and fill with water so it reaches halfway up the side of the ramekins then fill them with the mix.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, check your brûlées at this point they should have a slight wobble in the middle, if needed cook for another 5 minutes and check again.
- Allow to cool completely. To finish cover each one with fine layer of caster sugar and ideally blow torch the top until golden brown caramel coloured. If you do not have a blow torch they can be placed under a very hot grill to achieve the same result. Leave the sugar to set hard and enjoy.
This recipe is a bit of a signature dish here at Rowton but it can be flavoured with anything you like, just remove the orange and cinnamon and replace with whatever takes your fancy, you can’t go wrong with classic vanilla.