Please keep this to yourself....its our very own Rowton Scone Recipe!
Makes 15 scones
- 1kg plain flour
- 175g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 450ml milk
- 60g baking powder
- 3 egg yolks beaten
Raisins, Sultanas, Dried Cherries if you want a fruity scone.
- Lightly cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Slowly sift in the flour and baking powder a little at a time then add the milk until a dough is formed. The dough should be slightly wet to the touch if its too dry the scones will be hard and chewy.
- Add the fruit if you are using it, then pre heat the oven to 170 Celsius, use the time the oven takes to heat up to allow the dough to rest a little.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough out into a smooth sheet about 2cm thick. Use a 6cm round cutter and cut the dough out, once you have done this re mix the dough and repeat until you have used all the dough. If the dough starts becoming springy and hard to roll discard it, this means it has been worked too much and you will be left with tough bread like scones.
- Place the cut scones a baking tray lined with grease proof paper, brush the top with the egg yolk to give the scones a nice glossy top once baked.
- Bake the scones for 15 minutes remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Eat with jam, clotted cream or just butter. But make sure you put the cream on first then the jam!!