American Style Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Our Head Chef Matt has gone all out this year and created a slightly different Pancake Recipe, going for the American style and using Buttermilk which gives the pancakes a delicious edge that works so well with the sublimely rich Salted Caramel Sauce.
Buttermilk Pancakes (makes 8 Pancakes)
- Self-Raising Flour 500g
- Buttermilk 500ml
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Sugar
- Small knob of butter
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, ensure the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 30 mins and come to room temperature.
- Heat a small knob of butter and teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan. (the oil will stop the butter from burning in the pan before the pancakes are cooked)
- Spoon a 10cm wide pool of mix into the pan and allow to cook until the mixture is firm and can be flipped.
- Turn the pancake and cook for a further minute, transfer to a warm plate to keep warm whilst you cook the rest of the mix.
Salted Caramel Sauce (Makes 500ml) Great Topped with Crushed Nuts and Chocolate Chips.
- 300g Caster Sugar
- 200ml Double Cream (warmed)
- 150 Butter (cut into small cubes)
- Sea Salt to taste
- Heat half the sugar in a heavy based pan, keep your eye on the sugar until it turns into a dark golden-brown colour.
- Add the remaining sugar and swirl the pan until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and add the slightly warmed double cream a little at a time whilst whisking continuously.
- Slowly add the butter cube by cube until fully incorporated and the sauce is shiny and glossy.
- Add sea salt to your personal taste and serve warm.